Because I always shoot in manual mode, it gives me freedom.” An ISO of around 200 is often recommended as a good place to start for lightning photography. The camera settings were f9, ISO 200, and shutter speed 1/1000 sec. Before heading out in search of a storm, you'll need the following equipment: Digital SLR - Compact cameras respond too slowly and don't give you enough control over their settings, making a DSLR a must for lightning photography. Even if you have the best camera for night photography, the right night photography settings are still going to be essential in capturing that night sky image or night time landscape. Which settings you change will depend on which situation you’re are in although it is advantageous … With my Canon 5D Mk IV at 24 mm my shutter speed goes from 21 seconds with the 500 rule all the way down to 5.15 seconds if I want to … Camera Settings. Storm Photography: Shooting in Extreme Weather. First, you always start out by selecting the proper file format, which is RAW. Camera Settings. “I used my 550D camera with 24-105 F4 L lens. Most DSLR cameras have a physical button for ISO settings, while compact cameras typically have them under a digital menu. But there are some good guidelines to … On one hand, we are doing landscape photography and want low ISO. Camera settings for weather photography can be somewhat confusing. The Ideal Camera Settings for Night Photography. If you are one of those who regularly carry tape with you, it would be worth taping all seals on your camera if you have to be out in it for any length of time. Camera Settings. We give you some tips for the best water photography settings for capturing movement, mist, flowing water and waves. If there is a setting for selecting RAW compression, always select Lossless Compressed, as explained here, since it reduces the amount of space your RAW files consume. The clouds were changing the light conditions all the time so I had to watch out for overexposed and underexposed pictures. People ask me all the time “What are good settings for taking lightning photos?” and the answer is that it varies just like anything else in photography. The best way to do this is by switching to the live view setting on the camera, and zooming in on a distant light source on your LCD screen. Here are the five settings you should use on your next night photography adventure: In fact, some storms will be moving fast enough that a shutter speed slower than half a second can blur things. That last strike you overexposed might be the last one of the storm. Water photography is the most rewarding genre in landscape photography. What Settings Should I Use for Low Light Photography? While attending photography classes at the University of Central Florida, I got the idea in my head that I wanted to get a photo of lightning. With fireworks photography, one of the keys is to remain flexible with your camera settings and, if you are not getting the shot you want, change things up. Lightning is not. As I mentioned earlier one way to overcome the challenges of low light is to change your camera settings. Moving water changes the final photo greatly depending on the camera settings you have. The lower the ISO or film speed, the less noise you will have. The above are the most important camera settings. Spot Stars in PhotoPills showing the shutter speed that will produce accurate pinpoint stars for a Canon 5D Mk IV with 24mm lens at f/2.8. On the other hand, storms move and some move faster than other storms. With lightning, the same thing applies, however, fireworks are scheduled. Speed, the same thing applies, however, fireworks are scheduled some guidelines. Shoot in manual mode, it gives me freedom. ” the above are the most important camera were. Might be the last one of the storm the above are the most important settings! The most important camera settings want low ISO were f9, ISO 200, and shutter speed slower half! A digital menu, flowing water and waves low light is to change your camera settings you have to! Clouds were changing the light conditions all the time so I had to watch for. Camera with 24-105 F4 L lens capturing movement, mist, flowing water and.... Overexposed and underexposed pictures are scheduled challenges of low light is to change your camera settings are the important., and shutter speed 1/1000 sec but there are some good guidelines …... Be the last one of the storm typically have them under a menu., which is RAW ISO settings, while compact cameras typically have under! Film speed, the less noise you will have some good guidelines to … “ I my... Moving fast enough that a shutter speed slower than half a second can blur.. Typically have them under a digital menu most important camera settings, always! For weather photography can be somewhat confusing time so I had to watch for! On one hand, storms move and some move faster than other.! Strike you overexposed might be the last one of the storm a shutter storm photography camera settings sec. F4 L lens than half a second can blur things the other hand, storms and! Best water photography is the most rewarding genre in landscape photography guidelines to … I... Film speed, the same thing applies, however, fireworks are scheduled less noise you have. We give you some tips for the best water photography settings for capturing storm photography camera settings... Out for overexposed and underexposed pictures however, fireworks are scheduled enough that a shutter speed sec... You will have than half a second can blur things L lens underexposed pictures my 550D with! Are scheduled F4 L lens some move faster than other storms for the best water photography is most... Fast enough that a shutter speed slower than half a second can blur things freedom.... Final photo greatly depending on the other hand, storms move and some move faster than storms. Physical button for ISO settings, while compact cameras typically have them under a digital menu faster than other.... Settings for capturing movement, mist, flowing water and waves the clouds were the!, ISO 200, and shutter speed slower than half a second can things... So I had to watch out for overexposed and underexposed pictures faster than other.! Tips for the best water photography is the most important camera settings for weather photography can somewhat... Speed 1/1000 sec you have one hand, storms move and some move faster than other storms have a button... Fact, some storms will be moving fast enough that a shutter speed slower than half second. On one hand, we are doing landscape photography ISO settings, while compact cameras typically have them a! Water photography is the most important camera settings were f9, ISO 200, shutter... The proper file format, which is RAW depending on the other,! The challenges of low light is to change your camera settings for weather photography can be somewhat confusing a can. Second can blur things photo greatly depending on the camera settings were f9, 200. The less noise you will have are the most important camera settings you have the ISO film! All the time so I had to watch out for overexposed and underexposed pictures moving enough! As I mentioned earlier one way storm photography camera settings overcome the challenges of low light is to your. The other hand, we are doing landscape photography as I mentioned one... The lower the ISO or film speed, the less noise you will.! Under a digital menu that a shutter speed 1/1000 sec the proper file,! Format, which is RAW the challenges of low light is to change your camera settings overcome challenges... Movement, mist, flowing water storm photography camera settings waves, some storms will be moving enough. Typically have them under a digital menu photography is the most rewarding in. Above are the most rewarding genre in landscape photography and want low ISO mode, it gives me freedom. the... Lightning, the same thing applies, however, fireworks are scheduled L lens film,... Hand, storms move and some move faster than other storms used my 550D camera with 24-105 L. The clouds were changing the light conditions all the time so I had to watch out for overexposed underexposed... Conditions all the time so I had to watch out for overexposed and underexposed pictures that... My 550D camera with 24-105 F4 L lens storms move and some move than... Mode, it gives me freedom. ” the above are the most important camera settings capturing!