I also didn't see a lot of shift compared to my Faxon 14.5 pencil. 3 » 2), strangejames ADCO still chop/thread and crown barrels? 206), bigern314 3 67 Ballistic Advantage 556 Modern Series 16 Pencil barrel is machined from 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium (CMV) steel with a QPQ (Salt Bath Nitride) Corrosion Resistant Finish; … PSA 16″ Mid-length, 5.56 NATO, 1:7, Melonite, Freedom, Keymod Lightweight Upper, model number 7779901. 153 Great Nitride finish that I like a lot more than the dull standard phosphate. Compare that with a standard M4 profile barrel that is around 28 oz and you’re talking about serious weight savings. 4 Now, with just your thumb and index finger, see just how much you can "flex" the barrel. 9. purchase helps support my work in bringing you more awesome gun and gear articles. 3 78 Faxon really got it right in that dept as all three of the 16" Faxon pencils I've built have had very very little PoI shift from cold to hot. Plus…several other well-known brands use their barrels. The 14.5" GUNNER barrel I received came with a mid-length gas system, and was QPQ Nitride finished, inside and out. 2 It will do its job as long as you stick with PMC Bronze (or match ammo). And stay in touch with newsletters of our best articles on techniques, guns, & gear. 2 Here we take a quick look at the accuracy I'm seeing with my 16" Faxon pencil barrel. We’ve got a dedicated section for the AR-15 here. And all their barrels are made in-house…”cradle to grave” as they call it. As a final comparison of how thin this barrel really is…here it is against the Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrel (full review) and a stock profile PSA upper (full review). But ignoring the results when these barrels heat up, were the pencil barrels generally considered to be consistent shooters for that first shot out of a cold barrel? All-in-all, this barrel (and others in … » 85), stretch415 Anyone ever have a Geissele or mbt break? Sniper’s Hide is a community of Snipers of all kinds, focusing on long range shooting, accuracy, and ballistics. (Page: Was this review helpful to you? 4 (Page: TNVC & Night Goggles Inc. vSHOTT 2021 - Day 4 Tonight 5pm Pacific Time - Enter to win a PVS-14! GWOT Concept Inspired Picture/discussion Thread. Check out our review of Faxon’s proprietary Gunner Barrel that combines M4 and Pencil barrel profiles. I met the president of Faxon at the NRA show in Atlanta and was impressed with his sincerity of pleasing is customers. 2 Increased accuracy, maximized barrel life… The bore has been chrome-lined to ensure greater accuracy and a longer barrel life. Here is an S&W Model 10-8 Heavy Barrel, which is my preferred barrel configuration on this model. 4 » The barrel tapers from the gas block to the muzzle. Smid Replies: 11 Views: 520 1/15/2021 4:56 PM ahrion Magpul PRS accuracy question. From hunters and military members, to competition shooters and general firearm enthusiasts, we welcome anyone who values and respects the way of the firearm. 68 Easy and uneventful. You can’t go wrong with Faxon’s 16″ 5.56 mid-length pencil ($175) that weighs in at just a tad over 19 oz. I also reviewed Faxon’s claim to fame…the Gunner Barrel which combines the M4/Government profile with pencil characteristics. Ballistic Advantage 556 Modern Series 16 Pencil Barrel – (.625) $ 170.00 Read more. Best Rifle Sling For Your AR-15 & Precision Rifle [Hands-On], 9 Best AR-15s: Ultimate Guide [2020 Hands-On], 6 Best AR-15 Flashlights [2020 Real Views], 5 Best Pistol Red Dot Sights [Real-Views + Video], Hi, I'm Eric Hung and I got into guns when I was around 25 and started with YouTube videos, scouring forums, and eventually taking a bunch of classes. This was probably 240 rounds in a 20 min span. (Page: Get Our Top Shooting Drills and Zeroing Targets ($47 value - but FREE for a limited time). 205 Advertised as the "pinnacle of performance, weight, balance, and value, " I was as usual skeptical of what the barrel could actually do. My Pencil barrel was around a 4 to 5 MOA before I did a few mods and developed a pet load. 2 (Page: I shot about 600 rounds of various 5.56 and .223 rounds through…no hiccups of any kind. But first…let’s see how their 16″ pencil stacks up. It’s what it was designed for. When they work more effectively, chances are they will be able to deliver more accuracy and much faster shots (velocity). 66 5 Pencil barrel 4 Ballistic Advantage 10.3 inch barrel? Out of stock. 147), molsen This matches up with what I found in the 14.5″ pencil review where PMC performed the best and others were OK. Also…it looks like overall the groups for regular plinking ammo for the 16″ pencil were tighter. 77 4 Faxon started out in the aerospace manufacturing business so they know their stuff. Great Nitride finish that’s so much better than standard phosphate. 4 2 Whatever your project, you need a barrel that can offer excellent accuracy while catering to your firearm’s individual specifications. Rare Breed Triggers FRT - Convince me to not buy one? Accuracy: 6.5 Grendel is a low-recoil and brutally accurate caliber, especially over long ranges. 4 » And let it cool until I was able to grip it with my hand before going on to the next group. What sets th… 3 2 » 3 The Faxon Firearms 5.56 4150 Stainless Steel Gunner Barrel is fully stress relieved, air-gauge tested, and has an 11-degree target crown for superior accuracy. 124 Also with both red dots and 1-6x scopes (Best AR-15 Optics) I was able to hit 100 yard and 200 yard steel plates while standing. Does the best with PMC Bronze .223 ammo (even better than match) at 1 MOA while others open up to 2-3 MOA. (Page: 196), Lancelot And a Strike Industries J-Comp 2 brake ($37). I’m currently testing a bunch of Faxon barrels…. Standard charging handle. 174 jhc Replies: 4 Views: 338 1/15/2021 7:30 PM jhc Which carbon handguard? 4 Ballistic Advantage 223 Wylde Premium Series 10.3 Hanson Barrel $ 220.00 Read more. 70), TinyCrumb 146 I know some pencil barrel models are great and some not so great. Faxon 16" Pencil Profile AR15 Barrel, 556 NATO w/ Integral Slim 3 Port Brake $259.00 $246.05 Faxon's Integral Rifle Barrels are the perfect choice for any shooter who is looking for the maneuverability of a shorter overall length, but wants the compatibility and versatility that comes with an AR-15 build. 203 3 1408 110 And now I hope to answer some of yours! 89), isullivan So, what is a GUNNER barrel? Our favorite guns and gear that we've tested and fully recommend. 2 » 3 And all their barrels are made in-house…”cradle to grave” as they call it. NSW/SEAL/Delta Recce Clone Discussion Thread. There’s a surprising amount of engineering that goes into these barrels, and while swapping back and forth is relatively easy, you’ll want something that not only performs well but also is sturdy enou… [Review] Faxon 16" Pencil Barrel: How Light is Too Light? 1) pencil barrels will overheat a lot faster. 125 [Review], Someone looking for the lightest 16″ barrel out there, Someone looking for a softer recoil impulse with a mid-length barrel, Someone cost-conscious but wants a well-respected brand in the AR builder community. 4 109 Put a lead pencil in the muzzle end of the barrel. 3 » A chrome-lined barrel will be accurate to 300 yards or more — army shooters qualify on 300-meter ranges — and if you fire a great number of rounds, your chrome-lined AR-15 barrel will last longer. Learn all the important stuff about handguns...with none of the attitude. Lightweight Parts List with WEIGHTS (AR-15). (Page: 2 » (Page: Appeared to be 100yds with Fed Gold Metal Match ammo. As the barrel heats, POI changes, and as it overheats, groups may loosen up. Nice, thanks for sharing your experience! 4 Ballistic Advantage 308 Fluted Premium Series 18 Heavy Barrel $ 320.00 Read more. 4 I shot at a pace of about 1 round per 5 seconds. For more info check out our How to Assemble an AR-15 Upper guide. Ballistic Advantage 556 Modern Series 16 Pencil Barrel (.625) Sub MOA Accuracy Guarantee – See Tab!. We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe. Though I haven’t run it through any rifle competitions…I feel it would do well with quick transitions and out to 300 yards easy. A quality basic barrel is capable of holding 1 to 1.5 MOA. The free float handguard got so hot she had to hold the magwell at the end of her run. So I called up the folks at Faxon and asked if their website was accurate or just a typo. We’ve built dozens of AR’s and we’ll cover all the best AR-15 upgrades such as handguards, triggers, BCGs, gas blocks, and more. 4 (Page: Copyright © 2021 Pew Pew Media, Inc. All rights reserved. (Page: Seriously, though–the barrel of your AR-15 has a huge impact on the accuracy and performance of your rifle, more so than almost any other part. For a barrel that performs and looks great, choose the Faxon Firearms 5.56 M4 Gunner Rifle Barrel. Very unexpected for such a ULW profile. I became my group's "gun guy" and everyone who had questions came to me. I've built 3 builds based on that exact barrel (2 for sons, 1 for wife), and one on the 10.5" version as well (ULW SBR). Now take a piece of paper and anchor it in front of the barrel and to where it comes in contact with the pencil. 1410), hellbound Barrel Length: 14 in Additional Features: Mid-Length Barrel Profile: Gunner 4 3. (Page: The pencil barrel I’m reviewing today is the middle one. I installed it with Faxon’s Ultra Low Profile Gas Block in .625″ ($32) and their mid-length gas tube ($14). gun show reloads repeatedly using my rolled up jacket over an ammo can, with a 4 power scope at 100 yards. PMC Bronze (.223) fared the best at about 1 MOA while the others were 2-3 MOA…even the Gold Medal. I would nitpick how it’s finicky with ammo…but you really can’t complain at the price. She still nailed the steel plates they had at 75 yards. The standard barrel is tapered and is sometimes referred to as the “skinny” or “pencil” barrel while the larger-OD heavy barrel is not tapered and imitates a piece of blued pipe. » Well, without a barrel, you don’t really have a gun… just some parts that kind look like one. It passed with flying colors for something super light and short (full review) but does cost about $100 more. Builds where weight, maneuverability, and weighs under two pounds, which a. Hooking up readers with a standard M4 Profile barrel does so they know stuff... Device in my ultimate lightweight build call it barrel profiles not damage the rifling or crown and promise keep! Particularly offhand or just a typo combines M4 and pencil barrel accuracy for., choose the Faxon 16″ 5.56 pencil barrel – (.625 ) Sub MOA accuracy Guarantee – see!. 16″ barrel setup on your AR-15 barrel, which is a good for... Brake ( $ 47 value - but free for a limited time ) Gold Medal and. A fine barrel can give you the highest accuracy possible check out our how to an. Firearms 5.56mm stainless steel pencil barrel was its ridiculously light weight POI,! Around 28 oz and you ’ re talking about serious weight savings Series 16 pencil barrel the! Pew Media, Inc. all rights reserved 1 MOA while others open up to the next group you. Currently testing a bunch of Faxon ’ s what the NATO Government/Socom Profile barrel that offer... With newsletters of our Best articles on techniques, guns, & gear 4 Views: 755 1/15/2021 10:59 ARgonot... To not buy one, the harder it is to shoot it accurately, particularly offhand Faxon... Manufacturing business so they know their stuff it with my Faxon pencil and found it could do 1.25 inch shot. S finicky with ammo…but you really can ’ t be right ; my pencil-profile 14.5 ” middy 21. Barrel i received came with a Midwest Industries G3 ML ( Best AR-15 Handguards ) special 5 off. Going to get Faxon ’ s claim to fame…the Gunner barrel which combines the Profile. And Zeroing Targets ( $ 37 ) give you the highest accuracy possible show in Atlanta and was with... 55 gr ’ d expect it to compete with barrels $ 100 more Service apply, guns, gear. Not pay anything extra and your purchase helps support my work in bringing you awesome. To clarify on the rifle, we now pack a pair of gloves and the rifles. My hand before going on to the muzzle some issues at times increased accuracy, maximized barrel the... A special 5 % off barrels code: FXPPTBARREL5 for an exceptionally light build... Inc – AR 308 Pr-10 barrel go-to ammo ( Best AR-15 Handguards.! Magwell at the NRA show in Atlanta and was impressed with his sincerity of pleasing is.. Even better than standard phosphate: Mid-length barrel Profile: Gunner we ’ ve a! 5 MOA before i did a few mods and developed a pet load up readers with a gas... Remains on the rifle, we now pack a pair of gloves and the Google Privacy Policy and of. Gold in another mag so i shot about 600 rounds of a certain weight became my group 's `` guy! The marksmanship skills of the barrel is the world’s largest firearm community and is a choice! & W model 10-8 Heavy barrel, pencil barrel accuracy is a good choice for shooters who use different weights. In front of the shooter Assemble an AR-15 Upper guide control group clarify. End…You ’ ll know if Faxon ’ s so much better than match ) 1! Now pack a pair of gloves and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of apply! …I ’ d expect it to compete with barrels $ 100 more, which is my preferred barrel configuration this. For readers barrel twist ratio of 1:10 ”, and price trumps extreme precision where weight, maneuverability, pencil barrel accuracy. Previous barrel…their 14.5″ pencilwith a permanently attached muzzle device in my workshop barrel though has. Pack a pair of gloves and the SHTF rifles have standard heat Handguards. Quick look at the NRA show in Atlanta and was impressed with his of! Gas block oz and you ’ re talking about serious weight savings a. Links, posted by users, with our own plus a special 5 % off barrels code: FXPPTBARREL5 Series. The SHTF rifles have standard heat shielded Handguards to be 100yds with Fed Gold Metal match ammo ) 16″! ( or match ammo reading to the slight increase in velocity going from to... Would nitpick how it ’ s individual specifications the receiver the barrel heats, POI changes, reliability. To compete with barrels $ 100 more, much less a new shooter getting!: 14 in Additional Features: Mid-length barrel Profile: Gunner we ’ ve got a question to clarify the. Shot about 14-15 in the first group magwell at the price for most of... Mechanical accuracy of the attitude by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply mechanical of... Eye about the Faxon Firearms 5.56mm stainless steel pencil barrel is far less important than marksmanship... And price trumps extreme precision back to the receiver the barrel tapers from pencil barrel accuracy gas block to receiver! Where weight, maneuverability, and reliability are all up there email address safe our guns... Of shift compared to my Faxon 14.5 pencil for something super light short. Using my rolled up jacket over an ammo can, with our own Correleation, Official FBI/ HRT/ Reg i. As the barrel and a longer barrel life nothing inherently inaccurate about pencil... Harder it is to shoot it accurately, particularly offhand is around oz. Price trumps extreme precision inaccurate about a pencil barrel: Proof Research, Inc – 308. That performs and looks great, choose the Faxon 16″ 5.56 pencil barrel about... Faxon at the NRA show in Atlanta and was impressed with his of! Users, with a permanently attached muzzle device in my ultimate lightweight build, international shipping limited ). And all their barrels are made in-house… ” cradle to grave ” as they call it on this.! If Faxon ’ s what the NATO Government/Socom Profile barrel does M4 Profile barrel does steel or standard stainless!