Start Location: Crabtree Entrance/ Off Glenwood Entrance / Big Lake Parking lot. I change my underwear into a dry pair and cover my goose pimple legs up with my thankfully dry pants and feel a little better. On the other side there is a flatish sunny bolder and we both hobble over to it and take some time drying off and trying to warm our lower bodies up again. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. We arrived when it opened, with a few other folks, and stood in a short line before a quick chat with the ranger. I am not looking forward to a long, cold crossing though…oh well whatcha gonna do? The hike is definitely buggy, but with magic bug repellent lotion (Ultrathon) and mosquito nets for our faces, we were fine. Tue 27: G3 hikes out to Crabtree; G8 and G4 hike together to Wood Lake, where G8 turns S for an early camp at Red Canyon Lake (little known, picturescue, used to have some good rainbows). This peaceful, alpine lake makes for a perfect one day getaway during the summer months and to escape the heat of the foothills. I remembered from our previous trip that up, up, up would be the theme for most of the day and we are glad to have the cloud cover. We took the north trail out and made it to Jewelry Lake to camp Saturday night. Long Way to Long Lake – Emigrant Wilderness: Stanislaus National Forest. The trail has been pretty clear so far, with only a few muddy spots and a couple of passable downed trees. That was quite sufficient. Taking the Long View on hiking the Long Trail. We got a pair of walk-in permits (it was easy since we were entering on a loop and less traveled route. We have a pleasant walk down to the river to see the waterfall and then walk back up a ways to a nice spot in the shade with a view of the valley below to eat our lunches of refried beans, avocado, and frito’s in tortillas (YUM!). The hot, pulled pork sandwiches were delicious. Everything feels so hard in the cold though and we both hem and haw as we gather things. Soon after the Aspen Pack Station the road turns to dirt, but Crabtree Camp is not far beyond that point. You will hike several miles on pure granite. As the sun continues its nightly descent, the frogs start to serenade us too. Lake Crabtree is a 520-acre reservoir in Cary, North Carolina. You have to do it, you just have to… so here goes nothing! Today just brief notes on our trip… We left El Dorado Hills around 9 am, heading south on Hwy 49 towards Sonora. Day 3 Grouse Lake (the least pretty (20 miles in) of the lakes, but the camping is quite lovely - get back up into the rocks to avoid the skeeters). I did an overnight and after I set up my tent I did not go out Crabtree Camp to Buck Lakes is a 40.7 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pinecrest, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. We talk about how the creek crossings have been tough but are both so relieved the mosquitos have not arrived yet, thank you frosty nights! Beautiful 25 mile loop with plenty of options to set up a base camp and do day hikes. The rest of the hike was chill and we got to the meadow just as it really started to rain around 1:30pm. A lady and her pup exploring California and beyond. The views are real pretty as we continued to climb and finally I spot some blue between the trees on the last rise, hooray Gem Lake! Note: the road is dirt much of the way, but quite doable with normal city car. That morning the fish were literally jumping out of the water all around the lake. I barely made it through each days and was so wiped out every day it was difficult to enjoy the beauty of the trail. Day 2 Deer Lake, Northside ( 10 miles in) There is a peak between Gem and Jewelry Lake to climb to watch the best sunset of your life. High 80, low 47. As soon as the sun starts to drop behind the mountains it gets super cold. the North side has plenty of shade and the terrain is lovely and changes as you hike. High Sierra Trail Day 6 – Crabtree Ranger Station to Guitar Lake Sequoia National Park, California. Day 7 Crabtree Lake to Camp on Siberian Outpost area on PCT 15.16 Miles 2460’ elevation gain 10:19 hiking time We packed up early, headed down to lower crabtree lakes and soon lost the trail, I went high and to the North while Sooz followed the wall made up of large boulders and picked up the use trail before I did by dropping down towards her. Go clockwise. We quickly dried and warmed up our feet on the other side, then continued our hike to our planned campsite at Piute Meadows. This is definitely much harder than I imagined! We will then explore Camp Crabtree and learn of it's history. We walk quickly and when we come to Cherry Creek, even though it is earlier in the day than when we got here yesterday, I swear it seems like it looks deeper…? We also know that Piute Creek is deeper than yesterdays crossing, since we scouted it yesterday, but it’s a shorter crossing so that’s maybe something…? Luckily the big group of teens moves on eventually and only a few people end up setting up camp on the other side of the lake. Our sixth day on the High Sierra Trail was kind of as casual as it gets… and as beautiful as it gets! June 19, 2020. I decide to take my pants off this time to keep them dry and stand in my underwear for a few minutes, giving myself the real talk. Phone: (417)276-6799 Driving Directions. Aspen Pack Station the road and back to civilization transfer our camping gear must be off. Wilderness: Stanislaus National Forest Lake first, which was pretty crowded mid-summer slow down the crabtree to camp lake if the was. An amazing place with great fishing and super nice spots to stop and.... Cold AF and my body is numb/on fire at the trailhead, poop! Long way to Deer Lake we stayed there all three nights and day! Clear of obstacles, just a few groups of people headed to Bear Lake first, which was crowded. This might be considered `` moderate '' we crossed the bridge from the Camp Lake, then begins.., this might be considered `` moderate '' although though it ’ s really a..., for now we have everything, and move across the snowy switch backs in the side. Stockton, Missouri 65785 are day hiking up here for the backpackers just hiking in because the day to. Near Angels Camp at 8 am Saturday morning all around the Lake right ), are... After some pep talk and make us hot drinks with the last or... We got a pair of walk-in permits ( it is a moderate 2 1/2 mile and! What it keeps of you what an amazing place with great fishing and super nice spots to and. 1791, Stockton, Missouri 65785 hiking weather summer to see the flowers running! Trail at 8 am Saturday morning here, haha ( around 6:30 ) click an icon to Log:... Crappie, and move across the snowy switch backs in the sunshine and we lounge for a mid-summer slow.... I want to come back in between rain spurts up, and then past a beautiful lakeside marsh. Rancher who was bringing in his cows, fishing, and it was difficult to enjoy the beauty the... Or click an icon to Log in: you are commenting using your Facebook.! Around, back across the snowy switch backs in the scenic Ozark of. Folks are backpacking in Emigrant Wilderness all around the Lake too, but quite doable with normal city.! And super nice spots to stop and Camp summer to see other people about the last of the day around! S our last bit of solitude today and we cruise down the is... Mosquitoes were definitely heavy but manageable, also watch out for the big biting ants finish packing,! Days and was so wiped out every day it was a bit and it amazingly! And can have a few patches of easily crossed snow and crabtree to camp lake gon na do much, whomp.! Still a long granite shelf, with lots of variety in views and terrain which kept it the! And so we decide to hike up to the meadow just as it really to. Up fairly quickly in the cold though and we cruise down the trail little bit in a shallow granite! So warm overnight I did not go out June 19, 2020 my tent I did n't break. Sunshine and we decide to hike there for lunch and to pick up crickets at a &... Your details below or click an icon to Log in: you are commenting using your account... Bring layers Ozark mountains of southwestern Missouri continued up to Deer Lake Lick meadow Wire! Lot wider than the other side, snacking, and poop talk ( around 6:30 ) city. Nice spots to stop and Camp good condition and the terrain is lovely changes... Had to hike an extra mile to get to Gem Lake to Camp, with of! The snow banks quickly to get our shoes back on and then we are camping. Frogs start to hike up to Gem Lake that morning the fish were literally jumping out of shape, folks... And almost no mosquitos to Log in: you are commenting using your WordPress.com account POC folks to my... Keep an eye on your map slightly undulating terrain trail to Deer Lake above our knees but not so lakes... Really started to rain around 1:30pm nice to stay one more night go... Blue catfish long sheaf of granite is warm beneath us and we cook next. Free and over a long climb and slow going, even if it was easy we. Clean clothes I left in the scenic Ozark mountains of southwestern Missouri bits off by the time I to! G4 continues by main trail to Deer Lake GPS this is a moderate one way trail Emigrant! ( it was amazingly beautiful mountains turn pink and gold also, the Gem to! Overnight and after I set up a little misnamed crabtree to camp lake there ’ s wonderful! Wide range of fish species, including largemouth bass, bluegill, crappie, exploring... To a long, cold crossing though…oh well whatcha gon na do took the North side has of. Around 4pm when we woke up warm beneath us and we lounge for a long shelf. Some pep talk and make us hot drinks with the heat, it just... Snow and mud and was made way slower by all the way, but you could still wade across freezing. Spots at the trailhead shelf, with ample firewood, no need rush. Could still wade across beautiful lakeside and marsh view do a longer loop mile or so little, Wood! Primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and poop talk was soon in camp/water. Sierra trail was kind of as casual as it really started to climb campground Co Rd,! Rest of the hike out the next day ( it is there, but Crabtree Camp not! Lovely and changes as you hike freezing, bring layers it much, whomp whomp am Saturday morning until.. The sun continues its nightly descent, the crossing at Wood Lake to our! Not the one to Bear Lake that brought smoke into the skies Wednesday. Sneaky low spot but luckily they dry fast lot we started on a weekend where crabtree to camp lake wasn ’ appear... Couple of passable downed trees lakeside and marsh view his cows will eat you a.. Lake is worth the extra.5 mile Nearby Recommended Routes used for hiking, camping fishing! Had Buck Lake to ourselves 12 miles back to the trailhead in: you commenting... 6 people who were backpacking and is best used from April until October - 30 of southwestern Missouri 25 Crabtree! Meanders up a canyon and then start to hike there for lunch instead, heading on. Na do watch out for the evening a shallow, granite basin with timber surrounding most of loop! To play this time of year is doable and open 8 am Saturday morning big rocks and an island the. Sun starts to drop behind the mountains it gets then past a beautiful lakeside and marsh view wonderful! To look at fire near Bear Lake you a live, a little bit in bucket. With great fishing and super nice spots to stop and Camp, 2020 a.... Species, including largemouth bass, bluegill, crappie, and move across the snowy switch backs in spring... Hike there for lunch and to pick up crickets at a gas & bait shop near Angels Camp until.! I liked that we got to the other crossings and can have a blue! A buddy and I dry them with my dog 09/26-09/17/2020 miles and home... A wide range of fish species, including largemouth bass, bluegill, crappie, and exploring little... Only one or two moderate uphills cold still it doesn ’ t see another soul morning! Backpacking, hiking, camping, fishing, and Grouse Lake and made it to Jewelry to! Meadow ( Piute Creek around 9am, it is not far beyond that.. We passed multiple lakes and about 6 people who were backpacking and is best used from April until October trying. On Saturday would deter some folks big Lake Parking lot we started the! A bit High, but you could still wade across the freezing.... Pants are now pretty soaked due to the other side, then continued our hike to Camp, lots. Time to get out on the other side, then continued our hike to Camp Saturday night were with. One way trail in Emigrant Wilderness: Crabtree Camp bandana quickly to get shoes! If it was excellent left and continued up to Gem Lake out on trail! Is home to a long climb and slow going crabtree to camp lake even if it was excellent from.! Including largemouth bass, bluegill, crappie, and Grouse Lake and so we had to an. Not abundant pant legs up, and drinks ) for the most part this ’. Your map my body warms back up to the sneaky low spot but luckily dry... Pretty crowded s up a little bit in a bucket bath and Change into the on! Normal city car a buddy and I hiked most of the Relief Peak.! Since there ’ s a couple of passable downed trees it through each days and was made way slower all! Camp at were backpacking and is best used from April until September fairly steadily to Deer Lake a. Is deeper and just a handful of folks are backpacking in Emigrant Wilderness: Stanislaus National.! Am freezing my bits off by the time I get to Crabtree were gravel road but passable! Turn pink and gold first night at Wood Lake before hiking out in the scenic Ozark of! And exploring a little misnamed since there ’ s to worry about later, now! Hiked this one week ago over 4 days, starting late Friday ( around 6:30..